I drove way down to Los Banos California to pick this unit up. You might remember in an earlier post that I blogged about our other Telefunken unit. It is similar to this one but has a few different features. I am such a big fan of anything made by Telefunken. I was advised by Luis (owner of Stereoadvisor) that “Telefunken is one of the best stereos to own”, since he repairs stereos for a living that was all the convincing I needed. Anyways, I drove down to meet Steve the seller of the Telefunken and after a small demonstration of its operation and the bugs it needed to have worked out I decided to get it. It had some water damage to the top of it but that is a usual problem for these.
The first thing I did was sand the piece down. You must remember when refinishing one of these units they only have a thin veneer surface so you can’t use a real abrasive sandpaper. I use a 100 grit sandpaper to remove old finish and then I use a 120 to smooth out the surface (remember that the smaller the number the more abrasive the sandpaper is).
Once the finish was removed and the surface smooth I then used Minwax Gunstock stain to re-stain the top. I only had to put two coats on it to achieve a finish similar to the original. Once the stain had dried I then sprayed the top with a semi-gloss polyurethane to help protect the finish.