These chairs were designed by John Hauser Sr. for Ironworks, Kitchener, Ontario, in 1955. These chairs need some sprucing up, and I am the man for the job!
You might remember we picked up a couple of these chairs a few posts back. I thought it would be a good time to refinish them.
My first stop was to swing into Jo-Ann Fabrics to pick up some tasteful pink pleather fabric to recover the seats and back rests.
Once I got home with the fabric I started on the deconstruction of the chairs.
These chairs only had 8 screws total holding the seat and backrest to the frame. That took just a couple of minuets to remove.
Here are the cushions removed. Some might say, “what is wrong with the current fabric”?? All I can say is that it isn’t pink.
I laid the cushion on the fabric and outlined it with about a 3 inch space from the edge of the cushion and cut it out.
Here is the type of stapler and staples I used on these chairs. I picked them up at my local home improvement store.
The trick is to start on one edge and staple the fabric down. Then start on the opposing edge pulling fabric tight and staple it into place. This is how it should look. Make sure to cut off any excess fabric.
The backrests were upholstered on the front and back. I first had to remove the staples and material from the back of the backrest. The next step was to recover the front of the backrest. Recovering the front of the backrest uses the same process as the seat portion of the chair above.
After the front of the backrest was recovered, I started on the back. I decided to make it look nicer than just staples as it had originally. I cut a piece of fabric roughly the same size with about 1-2 inch excess to fold under. I used black upholstery nails to finish the back. The trick is to keep constant pulling on the fabric as it is nailed. This pleather is stretchy so that helps pull out wrinkles.
Now that the upholstery is done it is time to focus on the frames of the chairs and getting them painted. As you can see there is a lot of surface rust on these.
A great way to sand pieces like these is to use a foam sanding block. They come in various grit and conform to the area you are sanding.
I used Rust-Oleum black appliance paint. This stuff has a nice finish and is durable.
After a good coat of paint I let them cook in the sun.
I was able to pick up some new black rubber feet for the chairs so I replaced the old ones.
Here is how they turned out. We are very happy with them, and it will just add to the mid-century feel of our backyard alongside our mid-century BBQ!
I think the upholstery nails look soo much nicer than just staples.
On to the next project!