The first set of Carlo watercolors I want to cover are a pair we received a couple of weeks ago. They are fantastic except for many small spots of mold/mildew. This usually occurs when they are in a damp place and the spots are a real bugger to get off if you can remove them at all.
Here is what I had to deal with. This mold was everywhere!
I tried many ways to remove the spots but they were not going anywhere. I couldn’t see just letting these Carlo watercolors stay this way so I went to work restoring them. I am hesitant to recommend that people restore Carlo watercolors because you have to understand how to paint and what finishes work. Please do not attempt unless you have some artist abilities. Anyways, after a few days of work they turned out better than new. They really pop now and I am pleased with the outcome. It is never my desire to repaint any art, but it isn’t worth a lot when it is ravaged by mold. I will always restore as opposed to throwing it away.
They will look great next to our Reglor Bullfighter Lamps!
As you can see these have no color except on the edge of the art that reveals some of the original colors. I use this edge color as a reference.
The only color left on this piece is her dress!
The next set of Carlo watercolors I restored were a tropical pair we received that had no color, just the black & pink watercolor paint. This fading is mainly caused from exposure to prolonged sunlight. It is soooo important to make sure you know where the Carlo is hanging in regards to direct light. I have started putting 99% UV protection glass on my art to prevent further fading. Here are the above pieces restored:
I love the way these turned out! They look great in our Tiki room!
I don’t know if I would be able to tell that these were restored. I try to keep the same color palette that appears on the edge of the art. Sometimes I have to take liberties with the painting because there is not always a reference to pull from.
These make me want to board a jet plane and swing over to the islands….Aloha!
The third and final Carlo I wanted to restore was this one we purchased off Ebay that had no color left and had some mild water damage. This one sat on Ebay for a while because of the damage and the extreme fading that had occurred. After a couple of days of work here is the result:
I think this turned out great considering what we started with.