Recently, I decided to replace the light bulb sockets and harps on our Reglor bullfighter lamps. When we originally purchased these lamps, they arrived busted. Fortunately, I was able to restore them. Sometimes, when you restore chalkware lamps that have significant damage, there are hidden weak spots under the surface. When I tried to attach the new bulb socket, the head of the male bullfighter lamp cracked into several pieces. Needless to say, I was completely devastated. For those of you who have restored these lamps might know, it’s a tedious process. Hours of my work literally crumbled in my hands. To make matters worse, upon further examination it appeared that I would be unable to repair the damage.
Once I came to grips with what had happened, I jumped on eBay and was able to purchase a replacement male bullfighter lamp. Fortunately, the seller did not live too far away, and we were able to meet up to pick up the lamp. It’s not often that you can find a same day replacement for a vintage lamp!
That’s not dirt you see, that’s nicotine. You wouldn’t believe how much came off.
The color scheme of the original lamps was orange and brown. These were colors we were never keen on. The lamp we just picked up needed to be repainted, so I took the opportunity to go with a whole new color scheme. The colors I went with are vintage coral and hematite (a graphite color). I think these two colors compliment one another very well.
After about a full day of painting, here is the result.
I decided to add a little more detail to the lamp.
Of course, these aren’t the original lamp shades and we’re not really happy with them. We plan to replace the shades with ones that incorporate the same colors as the lamps.
Here’s the female bullfighter.
This pair compliments our bedroom nicely.