RSS Feed

Turning the Page

Turning the Page

Mel and I are turning the page onto a new chapter in our lives.

First of all, we are closing our showroom inside Midway Antique Mall. We originally became dealers out of necessity. Our collection became too large and we needed an outlet to cycle out our pieces. We started with a small showcase at a local antique mall and it grew into our showroom at Midway. Over the years, we have had a fantastic time being dealers, but it’s time to move on. Everything in our showroom is 30% off from now until our last day on August 31, 2017. We are also open to REASONABLE offers and trades. Free layaway is still available. Here are the most recent pictures of our showroom. We can’t guarantee that everything is still there.

Another sad end is that we are selling our very original 1959 ranch style home. Living in our neighborhood (South Land Park in Sacramento, California) has been fantastic.

Many of the home owners in our area are devoted to preserving the originality of their homes. We have wonderful neighbors and have built some really great friendships and memories while living here. Some of the great memories include making it onto the 2016 Sacramento Midcentury Modern Home Tour, hosting numerous photoshoots, being published in multiple publications, and even having Kevin Rahm of Madmen fame shoot at our home for Sacramento Magazine! We hope and pray that whomever buys this home will keep it original or faithful to the mid century style.

We are relocating to the Bay Area and will take you on that adventure as we re-establish our collection and go into new directions. Thanks to everyone who has supported our efforts and shared with us their experiences. This is not the end of our blog, but a new beginning for us. We are excited to see what the future will bring. Stay cool cats!

43 responses »

1. How much are the curtains in the bedroom with the pink bedspread?

2. JULIO RUSSINYOL

Great to hear you Folks will be starting a new and wonderful chapter in your lives!
    The best of luck yo the both of you!!
    How can I get a price on a wall clock in your booth?
    Thanks,
    Julio

Liked by 1 person

3. JULIO RUSSINYOL

Any Moss Lamps for sale???

Thanks,
    Julio

4. I wish you all the best. Thanks for bringing so many smiles my way. I look forward to more.

5. Onward and Upward! Best wishes ! xo

Liked by 1 person

6. I wish you both the best of luck as you take on a new life adventure. I sure am going to miss your posts, though. Hope you’re back soon with new stories and vintage pieces to share.

Could I have prices for:
    In the first photo, mod green ceramic hanging lamp (far right)
    Second photo — pink dial phone, large peacock wall hanging
    Third photo – large ballerina photos; pair of dancer wall hangings directly beneath; pair of dancer wall hangings to the left of the fire extinguisher; dancer sculpture sitting atop the clock radio; turquoise/white portable photograph

Are there other photos of things in the shop so I can see everything you’re selling?

Already missing you!
    Beth

• Hi Beth,

Below are the prices before the 30% discount and tax.

Mod ceramic green hanging lamp $295
      Pink phone sold
      Large ballerina Carlos sold
      Wall hangings directly under $150
      Dancers to left of extinguisher sold

• Dancer sculpture on top of the clock radio- can you describe it more? Things have moved around.
      Turquoise phonograph $20 firm. It doesn’t work.

7. donna treacle

Hi-
    I have bought quite a few things from you.
    I am interested in the moss wall hanging. With the girl figurine. I will be in Napa next week, so I could pick it up from you then.

How much is it? Could you hold it until you tell me the price please? Then I can decide…
    Thanks-
    Mary Schwendeman
    From Baltimore
    443-935-0667

8. God Bless! Keep us on you journey!

Liked by 1 person

9. How much do u want for that Carlo frame that is black with red trim
    Woody

10. Good luck going forward.

I never pass by one of your blog posts and know I can expect to see a lot more as you both proceed on your new venture.

Liked by 1 person

11. Liz Williams

Love your stuff and when I go to Midway I head straight to the back and into your showroom. Do you still have the Carlo tiger picture? Or any other cats or tropicals? Don’t make it down there very often, but when I do I’m in awe. I’ve seen things I wanted and should have splurged on because the next time they’re gone 😕 A while ago there were some ballet pieces with square metal frames in one of the front rooms. I’ve been looking for those ever since. I’ll have to make another trip down there before you move on.

~Liz

Liked by 1 person

• Hi Liz. We don’t have anymore Carlo tropical or cats paintings. We have a few small Carlo ballerinas, a bullfighter, and a guy dancing with a bongo player. Keep in mind that Midway has free 3 month layaway. The next time you go to Midway & if you regret not buying something, just give them a call and do a layaway/payment over the phone. You can even just call to put a 24 hour hold on things. Lastly, most dealers offer a discount unless it’s marked FIRM or SALE. You just have to ask, or make an offer.

12. Jose Valdovinos

Best wishes on the new chapter in your life. Should you happen to be willing to sell any of the panther/tiger or Polynesian themed Carlo’s please let me know. I even have a pair of the dancer Carlo’s that I’d be willing to trade as well.

Best Regards,

Jose

13. Good luck in your new adventure — happy trails!

Liked by 1 person

14. Good luck on your new adventure! I look forward to you finding a new house that you’re going to make really cool!

Liked by 1 person

15. JULIO RUSSINYOL

Hello again,
    That Windmill Moss Lamp, what are the measurements for the lamp and fot the shade?

Thanks so much,
    Julio

16. JULIO RUSSINYOL

Ok thanks, how about the round wall clock under the Carlo Ballet prints and the black lucite aomeba wall plaque with the ceramic figurines sitting on the floor??

Gracias….
    Julio

17. Claudia Eaton

I’m interested in the frame in your 3rd photo upper left corner with a balerina. It’s next to the 2 larger ones. What are you asking and what are the dimensions. Wishing you the best in your new journey.

• Thanks Claudia. If you’re referring to the single Carlo of Hollywood ballerina watercolor, it’s $210. I’m unsure of the dims but it’s about 2′ wide and the bottom tapers to about 1.5″ wide and it’s about 2′ tall. This is a rough estimate.

18. Michele Steiner

Love, love your home and store, too! Will you be selling anything from your personal collection? I love the blue ceramic/chalk ware (?) fish lamps on the desk and would be interested. Please let us know, as I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering 🙂
    Best wishes to you as you take on your new adventures.

Liked by 1 person

19. Oh no! The coolest couple in town are leaving Sack o Tomatoes? I, for one, will be sad. While I never got the chance to visit you at your booth, I have followed your blog for quite awhile.
    I wish you all the best in the Bay area.

Liked by 1 person

20. a disapointed reader

you manage to make a wonderfull house, getting published in magazine, making tour of your house, making tons of great stuff and now you leave all that behind, man you must be crazy, go to see a shrink, that’s sad really sad you don’t have passion

I hope people who gonna buy your house will make it all modern and don’t keep anything you made

• I have heard of people like you. I think they call you Trolls. It’s sad that you say what you say without knowing our circumstances. If someone buys our home and modernizes it that is fine, it is just a house. I feel sorry for you and your miserable disposition. I hope you can be happy for others one day and shed the hate you are carrying around.

21. Julio Russinyol

Hi Guys,

Hope the transition is going well for you Folks. Is that black Moss wall plaque still for sale?

Thanks,
    Julio

22. Whoa, just checked on your site and saw this news! All the best to you and Mel in your next adventure 🙂

Liked by 1 person