I blogged about this frame earlier and how I loved its shape and design but hated the picture. I had plans for it the first time I saw it. I decided to order a Hawaiian pin-up print to do the frame justice. As you can see from the original picture the frame was solid green and to me it needed a little sprucing up. I dressed up the frame by sanding the edges and front lip to show the natural wood. Then I turned my attention to the original matte. I had thought of trying this technique for a while to create the appearance of leaves. The first step was to paint the matte a solid brown color. Then I went out into the yard and picked some long leaves off of a Lilly plant. I then took the leaves and laid them across the matte and sprayed over them with green paint giving it the final look. I think it turned out well.
Another Picture Frame Project