Mel and I were out visiting our friends Donny and Romy. While we were visiting, Donny presented a set of vintage concrete flamingos he was looking to get rid of. I have always been a fan of these kitschy lawn ornaments.
As you can see, they are well used.
The necks of both Flamingos had numerous cracks and even chunks of concrete missing.
The paint is beyond faded and just not very impressive.
I knew the first thing I had to do was address the neck cracks and missing pieces of concrete from the neck. I used high performance DAP wall spackling paste that is specifically for cracks.
I had to cover the whole neck with this spackling to repair all the issues.
After the sun cooked them I sanded them, and the necks of these fabulous flamingos are like new!
Now for the fun part, painting them.
Now that the main body has been painted it is time for the detail work.
I looked at so many pictures of flamingos to get an idea of what I should do for the wing portion. Believe it or not, I was unable to find any referencesfor the original paint scheme. From what I was able to tell, it was pretty standard for folks to repaint them over the years as they faded. Because of this, I decided to use my own judgement and customize it. I knew with these flamingos, detail was not the order of the day, simplicity was the rule.
I was able to ascertain what the heads were supposed to look like.
While the flamingos were inside drying I took the rebar I purchased from Home Depot and painted them a coral color. I find sticking them in the ground with newspaper at the base makes it easy to paint them and to get even coverage.
Here is how they turned out!
It took two days to knock this out.
Here they are in their natural habitat surround by greenery. Unfortunately, I won’t be displaying these in our front yard because they might get snatched by someone. I plan to make a form and pour concrete around the feet so they can be displayed inside our tiki room.